Nature Happenings - October
- Keep your hummingbird feeders filled and clean until you have not seen a hummingbird for two weeks.
- Peak of southward migration. Birds heading south include: White-crowned Sparrows, warblers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Green-tailed Towhees, Song Sparrows and Lincoln and Chipping Sparrows.
- Watch for Sandhill Cranes heading toward the Bosque del Apache in New Mexico where they overwinter. They may also be seen around the Hatch/Radium Springs area.
- Geese and ducks begin arriving throughout the region.
- Peak of fall warbler migration.
- First Northern Flickers arrive.
- Orionids meteor shower is late-October.