Nature Happenings - December
Christmas Bird Count is this month, birds.audubon.org/christmas-bird-count.
- Watch for an increasing number of juncos on the ground beneath your seed feeders and Kinglets through the bushes.
- Provide a blend with enough white millet to satisfy the increase in ground feeding birds like towhees and juncos.
- Duck and geese numbers peak throughout the state. Watch for flocks of Cedar Waxwings especially at berry producing trees and shrubs
- Feeder activity increases as weather cools.
Geminid Meteor Shower is mid-month.
Watch for "winter" birds such as White-crowned Sparrows, Jays, Nuthatches and Pine Siskins.
- Festival of the Cranes is December 6-9 at the Bosque del Apache.